Top Stories

Trucker Trial

| March 17, 2014

Court 2

ALFRED, Maine (AP) – A trucking company and driver have been acquitted of manslaughter charges stemming from the death of a 15-year-old boy two years ago in Sanford.

The Journal Tribune says Justice John O’Neil issued his verdict Monday following a four-day trial last week.

The judge described the condition of the truck operated by Stuart, Torno and Stuart Inc. of Lebanon as “deplorable,” noting that the inspection sticker had expired and that three of the four brakes weren’t working. But he ruled the evidence didn’t support a finding of recklessness or criminal negligence under the law.

The judge said 15-year-old Corey Cabana was looking down at a cellphone or iPod and likely didn’t see or hear the truck as he rode a skateboard into its path in July 2012.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Tags: , , ,

Category: News

Comments are closed.