Top Stories

Perth-Andover homes relocated to higher grounds

| November 14, 2013

PERTHRELOCATIONPROGRAMPKG from WAGM-TV on Vimeo.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

It’s been almost 2 years since a flood devastated the New Brunswick Community of Perth Andover, and since then the village has been piecing itself back together. Today some significant progress was made in a relocation program to move houses to higher ground.

Houses were jacked up, raised from the ground, and moved completely from their original Park Street location. The relocation process began Thursday morning; three houses were moved from Perth Andover to the Trans Canada Highway.

Chief Administrative Officer of the Perth-Andover municipality Dan Dionne said, “Preventative mitigation for future flooding. A lot of these homes have had water in their basements several times some on the main floors several times. It’s just to get people out of harms way and protect their property and to give them a little ease in the Spring so they don’t have to worry about their home.”

Back in March of 2012, severe flooding damaged and destroyed houses. Several homeowners were forced from their homes and some moved out of the village altogether. Those that stayed were given an option of either flood proofing their home or re-locating it. Those that chose the relocation route acquired a new lot within municipal limits, a contractor to construct a new basement, and movers to move the home.

Chief Administrative Officer of the Perth-Andover municipality Dan Dionne said, “The 2012 flood which has certainly been a kick in the pants for a small community like ours, but having said that we’re certainly glad that the homes are getting to higher grounds so that they’ll be relieved in the future.”

The relocation program ends this March, so movers plan on having remaining homes moved before then. And the 3 houses moved Thursday are expected to be planted firmly in the ground in their new locations by early next week.

Chief Administrative Officer of the Perth-Andover municipality Dan Dionne said, “It’s been an emotional time for people in the community, if you can imagine if you’ve lived in your home for 30, 40, 50 years and then to have the thought of just getting up and lifting your home and going to a new subdivision.”

The total budget for the government funded re-location program to move homes is $8 million. Homeowners also have additional out of pocket expenses to pay that aren’t covered by the program. So far 25 homes have been relocated and 10 more are scheduled to be relocated this season as well.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Tags: , ,

Category: News

Comments are closed.