The Maine Drug Enforcement Agency Tuesday arrested eight people from Hancock County, concluding a two year investigation in the sale of Oxycodone in the county. Agents seized 1100 Oxy pills and $35,000 in cash.
MDEA Director Roy McKinney said, “this investigation has disrupted a major drug ring in Hancock County selling Oxy and highlights the epidemic of illegal prescription drug sales and use in Maine. MDEA remains committed to working our local, county, state and federal law enforcement partners to aggressively investigate, arrest and prosecute those involved with the illicit distribution of prescription narcotics.”
The investigation started in May of 2011, when agents from MDEA’s Down East District Task in Ellsworth opened an investigation into the suspected trafficking of Oxycodone by Michael Clark, 28, of the Silver Lake Road, in Bucksport. Drug agents suspected Clark was the ringleader of a group selling a significant amount of the drug in Hancock County. As part of the investigation, MDEA agents made a number of undercover purchases of prescription narcotics from members of Clark’s organization.
On December 10, the following were arrested:
- 1. Michael Clark, 28 , of Bucksport. He has been charged with Aggravated Trafficking in Schedule W Drugs (Oxycodone), a Class A felony. This charge was increased to “aggravated” because of the large quantity of Oxycodone seized
- 2. Brandie Higgins 39 , of Bucksport and Ellsworth, charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 3. Joel Allen, 26 , of Orland, charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 4. David Maguire, 29, of Stockton Springs, charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 5. Nicolas Maguire (brother to David), 24, of Stockton Springs, charged with charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 6. Wendy Cassidy, 31, of Bucksport, charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 7. David Vaughn, 27 of Ellsworth, charged with Class B Trafficking in Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
- 8. Christopher Newcomb, 38, of Bucksport, charged with Class C felony possession of Schedule W drugs (Oxycodone)
MDEA agents were assisted in the arrests by Bucksport Police, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department, Ellsworth Police, State Police and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The law enforcement team also searched Clark’s house on the Silver Lake Rd in Bucksport, the home of Joel Allen of Patten Pond Place in Orland and on the residence of Brandie Higgins on the Bucksport Road in Ellsworth. As a result, agents seized in excess of 1,100 Oxycodone pills with a street value of over $40,000. Also seized was $35,000, a Humvee, two ATV’s, a motorcycle, jewelry and other precious metals. All arrests took place without incident and all but one took place Tuesday afternoon and evening. Newcomb was arrested Wednesday morning.
This investigation is continuing and more arrests are likely.