Top Stories

No Decision Made on Moving 133rd Engineer Battalion

| May 20, 2014

National Guard

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) – The adjutant general of Maine’s Army National Guard says there has been no decision on whether to move the 133rd Engineer Battalion out of state.

In an email to soldiers and their families released by Republican Gov. Paul LePage’s office, Brig. Gen. James Campbell said that some media reports have falsely portrayed the movement of the battalion out of Maine as a “done deal.”

Last month, The Portland Press Herald reported that the National Guard was nearing the final stages of a plan to send the engineer battalion to Pennsylvania and replace it with an infantry unit.

Campbell says the guard has done planning to address proposed Army budget cuts and that the worst-case scenario would involve possibly moving the 133rd out of the state in exchange for another unit.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Tags: , , ,

Category: News

Comments are closed.