Top Stories

New Forest Management Plan stirring up controversy in New Brunswick

| May 1, 2014

FORESTRYPLANNBPKG from WAGM-TV on Vimeo.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

A new forest management plan in New Brunswick is stirring up controversy. It was unveiled by Premier David Alward in March, and as News Source 8′s Angela Christoforos reports, many people in the province believe the government isn’t acting in the interests of the people…

Owner of the Blackfly Gazette Stephanie Kelley said, “It’s a corporate driven scheme and plan and it will do nothing but bring further destruction and flooding upon our province.”

Many New Brunswickers feel the same way about the province’s new forest management plan unveiled by Premier David Alward earlier this year. It’s a plan that will reduce conservation zones, reduce deer wintering areas, and increase clear cuts on provincial forest that belongs to the people of New Brunswick.

Increasing allowable cut on Crown Land will reduce the wood prices for private woodlot owners, and it has a lot of people in the New Brunswick area concerned.

Woodlot Owner Ross Goodine said, “It means that I’m going to have to work harder to market my wood and we got more competition, our governments our competition pretty much I mean these big mills is not favoring us, never did and they’re going to do it even less now. It could very likely cause me to quit and to go do something else.”

And according to a New Brunswick government website, there’s over 40,000 private woodlot owners in the province.

Perth-Andover Mayor Terry Ritchie said, “Clear cutting has gotten way out of hand, this agreement endorses clear cutting in the parts of the province that we were committed to saving for our wildlife and for the beauty of the province. It will not be a picture province anymore and you will not even be able to drink the water if the Irvings and the Alwards have their way.”

Alward claims the plan will create more jobs for people in forestry, but some say the new plan will mostly benefit big corporations. The agreement is expected to be signed by New Brunswick government officials by July, locking in the whole province for at least 25 years.

“We need to work in harmony with our land and our water and our air, and the corporate plan is not going to be doing that,” said Kelley.

A documentary is currently being created on the state of Crown Forest in New Brunswick, you can check it out at -> http://isourforestreallyours.com/Isourforestreallyours/Welcome.html

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

Tags:

Category: News

Comments are closed.